Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Goodbye Asia, I'm Gonna Miss You

We are at the airport in Hong Kong, toiling away another long layover before we venture out of Asia into Europe. I can't help to think back on all of the amazing times that I have had on this continent. If someone had of asked me years ago, where did I think that I would end up and feel most comfortable, I'm pretty sure Asia woulda been far down on the list. The place was just so big and so foreign to me. It seemed like a world away. Now, after spending almost six weeks with her, I will never be the same.  There are so many things that I love and a lot of things I DONT love about it here but I would come back in a heartbeat and call many of these places home. Even though we spent what seemed like a lifetime here, I feel like I have only touched the tip of a vast iceberg. This continent cannot be canvased in a month or 6 months. I truly believe a "trip" can't do it justice. From the huge bustling cities like Beijing and Tokyo to the sleepy little back-water beach towns in Thailand and the Philippines. This place will get into your psyche and change you for good.
The people have been a mix of different colors and looks but I always felt welcome and comfortable. People were eager to teach us about their history and culture and there was always a sense of pride in their way of life and values.  I will always appreciate that.

On a lighter note, this place is hilarious. The same nice people have such a interesting way of expressing everything and just living life in general.  There were so many characters that we've met and so many funny situations it was hard to cover in each blog. I figured the best way to do the continent justice is to give "awards" for the best of the best. (In the spirit of the award season!)

Best Airport: Originally this was going to be a tie between Tokyo Narita and Hong Kong International but Hong Kong has a Popye's chicken and an AWESOME "traveler's lounge" where you can pay a fee, go in, relax in comfy chairs and for a little more chill in a little private "bedroom"!!! OMG! The airports in Japan and Hong Kong are so advanced, so nice, so spacious and so people friendly it makes you wish we had airports like that in the US.  I can't understand that it is easier to navigate an airport in Japan and China than it is to get around Dallas-Fort Worth Airport!!!! We could learn a lot in airport design....

This is the "traveler's sleep room" at the airport that you can catch a quick nap at!! I wish we had these in the US!!!!!!
This is a pic of the mall INSIDE the Hong Kong Airport. Check out the Prada store! This is like our nicest mall back home!!!

Worst Airport Security Screening: In the US, we are used to horribly thorough screening, requiring long lines, patience and occasionally, body cavity searches. In most Asian countries, security starts OUTSIDE the airport. In Phuket, Male and Sri Lanka we had to line up outside to get screened to get INSIDE the airport. Then had to go thru one to two more security lines. Sounds good, right? Not so much. Here is where it gets weird. I actually learned that they will allow you to put huge bottles of liquid thru the xray scanner...as long as its scanned...I didn't know that we had come so far in detecting dangerous liquids that you can just xray them now.....

Best and Worst Toilets: Anywhere in Asia, especially the more remote you will see some interesting dungeons. China takes the cake for the worst squat holes I've ever seen...Ladies, if you don't have good thigh muscles for squatting, don't go to any far away Asian locales. And the bucket of water next to the toilet? That's for rinsing yourself cause there is NO toilet tissue.  Best Toilet goes to Japan. This is the home of the "heated toilet seat"! This man or woman who invented this deserves a Nobel Peace Prize or something. There is nothing better on a cold Japanese night or day than to rest on a seat heated to a toasty 98 degrees!!!


Best Massages for under $20: Anywhere in Asia but I'll have to give Thailand this one. I have NEVER had a massage so good in my life! I almost went into a coma and should have had a breathing machine next to me...it was that good!!! Bruce agrees, he had two little Thai ladies stretching him like he was a rubber band. We were both loving life after that one!!!!

Best Beach Eats: Also, anywhere in Asia but Thailand takes the cake. Anytime you can eat on the beach, hearing the sounds of waves, sitting barefoot at a picnic table while crabs skitter around your feet (and then onto your plate) COUNT ME IN!!! I know that eating al fresco (without silly things like forks, napkins) is not for all of us but I figured, lick your fingers, then rinse them in the ocean! Brilliant! Outdoor eating also comes with its own perils. At one of our "hangouts" in on Kuk Kak beach in Thailand, you were greeted by the waiter with a citronella candle in a empty beer bottle and free and liberal use of some type of super effective bug spray. We are pretty sure the stuff in that bottle was flammable and probably carcinogenic and I'm sure I'll develop several types of cancer from exposure to it, but hey, it was worth it! The mosquitoes in Thailand are vicious and will stop at nothing until you are drained of blood.

Our favorite Thai Restauraunt

Best Lazy Day on the Beach: White Beach (Borocay) in the Philippines. You can lay on the beach, someone brings you a big icy bucket of beer, you give them $2 and then you shed a tear thinking..."how much better could this be?"  Oh wait, there are some big huge shrimp on a grill being sold for $4....It just got better...

Things I thought I could never get used to but are now totally "normal":

-Ants...who knew that little buggies that I used to be mildly revolted by would be so second nature to me? Ants are a part of life in most places. Ants on my toilet paper? No problem, shake em off (unless you're into that sort of thing). Ants in your food? Eat around them, squish them or eat them (its protein), Ants on your body? As long at they are the tiny little ones and not the vicious biters, let em wander.
-Squatting...I guess those Asian genes really do "kick in". I can maintain a perfect 90 degree squat with my 15 lb backpack on my back for at least 30 seconds. Squatting is also handy when chairs are not avialable. Used to kill my knees but i've adapted..
-Nose Picking...I used to be amazed and revolted by the sheer number of folks "diggin for gold" in public. Now I realized that its their nose, whatever they find is theirs too keep and as long as it is not flicked in my direction, we are all good
-Staring...Everyone stares...to different degrees. I realize that when you travel "off the beaten path" there are going to be people who have NEVER seen someone like you. They are interested and excited to meet you. Its nothing mean and not meant to offend. Most cases, if you make eye contact, you will be met with a smile and conversation.
-Automated everything...Contrary to some belief, certain cities in Asia (Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo) are light years ahead of us in everything from transportation to snack machines. I have never seen so many cool designs. I could go on and on about the perfectly easy and super advanced train systems in Japan and Hong Kong and the hotels are some of the nicest ones I've ever seen. For those of you who don't want to "rough it" or you can't stand the idea of going one day without internet access or a shopping mall then there are places in Asia perfect for you!

Overall, I am so thankful for the time I got to spend in Asia. I think the people are warm and genuine and I wish I had more time to explore. I highly recommend to anyone to make the trip across the globe to Asia. You won't regret it. I didn't.
Goodbye Asia!!! We'll be back!

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys:

    We're flying into Lisbon on the 14th of March and staying maybe a week. After that, we don't have any plans. Are you guys spending a whole week in Amsterdam or are you wandering about the Netherlands a bit? We might end up in Amsterdam before heading south through Eastern Europe.

    Rich -n- Ana

    ReplyDelete