Thursday, January 28, 2010

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.....

Ok! We are at countdown! Today is my next to LAST day at work and i am battling a strong urge to flee...Don't get me wrong, I love the people I work with and I love what I do but the call of the Boeing 777 to Tokyo is WAAAY more seductive..
Needless to say, last night i tried to pack. It was a fiasco. Maybe I'm trying to make this into a scientific endeavor. I had a list that I compiled from my travel guru, Ana and from my new favorite site, http://www.onebag.com/ According to this man, I should be able to travel the world with some toothpaste, three pairs of panties and some flip flops.  Ok, not really but he is really strict about packing. In fact, he has wonderful, gut churning articles about how often luggage goes stolen and missing everywhere in the world. His belief? A checked bag is a stolen bag. Why did i read that?! ugh! Anyway, i'm packing and i'm trying to keep the weight in check, being realistic on how much crap I really need. I keep repeating the mantra "I can buy what I need when i'm there"....Right? WRONG!!! Unless i have just magically morphed into my tiny Asian genes I will be SCREWED if I have to buy anything while we are in Asia. I know this from experience. Our first foray into overseas travel (and my first time out of the country) found us in Beijing, China. It was a wonderful trip except for the fact that our bags never left "Lost" Angeles Aiport. No worries, I packed about 3 days worth of clothes in my carry on. On day number 3, we decided it would be fun to go out and buy a couple of new things. We went to the closest Chinese mall and despite the SERIOUS language barrier were able to understand 3 things...1) I'm considered a cross between Yao Ming and the tallest woman that ever lived. 2) I'm fat by Chinese standards 3) Hip hop lives on in China, evidenced by the fact that Bruce had a multitude of stores selling everything from Ecko, Sean Jean, Phat Farm, etc. It was like we went into a mall in China and ended up in a urban clothing store in South Central LA! However, whenever we went to a store and pointed at clothes and pointed at me, I was greeted with a frown, rapid discussion then a wonderfully broken English reply of "too big, no clothes for her".  Now I am 40lb lighter, i want to travel back to China just to show them that i'm not "too big"! Needless to say, my horrible anxiety of buying things in Asia has lead me to staring at an open suitcase at 9'oclock at night trying to figure out what is too important to leave behind.  Will I be able to buy drawers in Denmark? or pants in Peru?  Toothpaste in Thailand?...ok, now i'm fixating...
After another couple of hours of useless staring and internal arguments and conversations, I abandoned the packing.  I'll try again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment