Monday, January 18, 2010

What the Hell is Waterproof?!

So, we are going around the world...I'm excited, Bruce is excited, the tickets are purchased (ouch!) and we are ready to go!
Now, all we have to do is pack...Should be easy. Once again, I have found that something that is supposed to be fun and simple is ridiculously hard!
Its mostly my fault...i'm a planner. I thrive on minutia and little details...it keeps me going. Bruce is more of a "plan-till-I-get-tired-then-let-the-chips-fall-where-they-may" kinda guy.  So here I am, charged with the duty of packing our lives up and making it fit into a suitcase/backpack contraption that cannot weigh more than 23kg. That is not a random number either...That is the minimum weight of a bag for all of the air carriers that we are using on this trip. Like a nerd, I took the time and researched the baggage allowance size and weights for all of the carriers that we will be on on this 4 month journey. American Airlines, Bangkok Airways, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Cimber Sterling, Iberia, JAL, LAN, Philippines Airlines, SAS and Sri Lanka Airlines...whew!!! So after all of that wonderful work, I've found that we must cram our lives down to a mere 23kg...We can do it!!!! I think...

The First Challenge...Find a Zip Lock Bag
We need a bag...Something that we can use as a carry-on but something that will be lightweight and easy for me to carry. Bruce already had his backpack, i didn't have an "appropriate" backpack. Actually, I do have a backpack/carry-on but I had failed Bruce's "Can-You-Carry-This-By-Yourself" Test, twice.  Pretty much this equation is:
                            How many times i've used the bag
MINUS
                                        How many times he's had to carry it for me

Needless to say, I needed a new bag. So we were off to finding a backpack. We hit all of the major sporting goods stores in Phoenix and came away each time empty handed...Either they were too big, too small, not enough pockets, etc. The biggest issue was finding a waterproof bag...why waterproof? Well, I'll lay blame this on our Type A personality digestion of small facts and information.  We would have gone into any sports store and found a basically good backpack if it wasn't for the blog entry from our friends, Rich and Ana who were in the Philippines at the time. According to Rich, their stuff got soaked on a ferry boat ride between islands in the Philippines. I don't know why we focused on that one detail of their trip, but we did. Now, we were on the hunt for a WATERPROOF backpack. Water resistant wouldn't cut it. On our last stop, we go to Dick's Sporting Goods, a big mega store in Phoenix to find the fabeled "waterproof" backpack. We go to the camping section and ask the man to get us a waterproff backpack. He pulls down what looks like a large garbage bag/zip lock bag...with straps. I immediately frown...it doesn't even resemble a backpack. It is literally a big, black ziplock bag...with straps! "I'm not wearing that", was my immediate statement. It looked bulky, hot, and ridiculosly waterproof. What the hell? We're not rafting around the world?! This isn't Deliverance! I'm not wearing the black ziplock bag! After some moments of discussion, with me pointing out that aside from not being a backpack (in the normal sense of the word) it didn't have exterior pockets or anything that would make carrying a laptop, camera, papers, etc easy. Bruce agreed, even though he really liked the zip lock part. Moments later, we found a horribly bright, orange, normal sized "WATER RESISTANT" backpack. It was perfect (except for color, ugh), it was light, comfy and roomy. Score!
We left the camping section, feeling like we really had won a battle. Now off to the clothing section! More waterproof stuff to buy!

What the Hell are Convertable Pants?
We are on the hunt for convertable pants. What are they you ask? Oh, the best invention in the world next to sliced bread and plasma transfusions. Pretty much they are pants that you can zip off the bottom 1/2 and make them into shorts!!! Brilliant!!!! I have to admit, this was Bruce's idea. He had gotten a pair during our travels in China and I made fun of them. It seemed really too "Indiana Jones" for me. Too many pockets and secret stash locations, zippers and etc. Too much work. Bruce on the other hand, loved them. I have to admit, I was jealous when we were climbing along the Great Wall and the sun got hotter and hotter and he was able to zip off his legs to cool off...Ok, good idea after all. So now it was my turn to get my own "Indiana Jones" gear. We both decided that convertable pants and quick dry stuff was the way to go (advice from Rich!). So here we are, picking through fishing, camping and hiking clothes trying to find the fabeled "convertable pants". The problem is, there are not a lot of convertable pants options for ladies. After a while, i decided to raid the guys section...I mean why not? I'm sure I could find a pair of guys pants that would fit me.  I grabbed a couple of small mens pants and headed off to the fitting room. Boy, am I glad I tried them on first!!!! Yikes! First of all, men's clothes are mens clothes for a reason. They are fitted for men. i.e, no room for butt or hips!  The first pair I tried on looked like I was auditioning for a role in "The Biggest Loser" as a BEFORE candidate! How in the HELL could a men's small NOT fit me! Bruce came over and smiled. He even made a nice little "riiiiiiiiippp" sound when I attempted to bend over...NOT HELPING. Ok, so no men's small in that stupid brand (who shall remain nameless) I tried a couple others and before long had two perfectly good pairs of men's convertable pants. Cheaper than the women's pants by $30!!! Who knew that guys had it so easy with shopping?
We walked out of the store, a couple of hundred dollars poorer but now we had GEAR! We had bought Indiana Jones pants 2 for me, 2 for Bruce, a couple of long sleeved quick dry shirts, thermal undies and my backpack!!! We are ready to pack!!!
23kilos, here we come!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I learned to value water-proof over water resistance, after being trapped in a rain storm for hours in Venice, Italy. Hopefully you don't have to experience anything like that on ya'lls trip.

    ReplyDelete